The govdex service includes tools to support private, secure cross-agency and cross-jurisdictional:
- Document sharing
- Information sharing
- Collaborative authoring
- Issues management
- Communications and engagement with project stakeholders.
The Department of Finance and Deregulation (Finance) provides the hosting, infrastructure, software applications and information storage and disaster recovery* for the service. Finance also provides a community help desk supporting:
- User management
- Community creation
- Support for Community Owners and Administrators
- Fortnightly face to face training
- Online documentation and training materials.
The agency(s) administering a community are responsible for:
- Managing the content in their community
- Managing the users in their community.
Although any stakeholder can participate in a govdex community, the Community Owner must be an Australian government agency. The Community Owner can then invite other people and organisations to participate.
govdex cannot be used for public-facing communities or for website hosting.
* The Department of Finance and Deregulation will maintain whole-of-govdex backups for use in the event of system failure, widespread data corruption or similar events.